Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Unexpected Eras

I recently went to the salon to get my hair trimmed up into my usual style (a little bit shorter than shoulder length with short, Audrey Hepburn style bangs).The stylist cut my hair up to my jawbone instead; not quite what I was expecting. It was the first time I actually cried over a haircut (Seriously, I was blubbering...it was pretty embarrassing). After I got over the initial shock, I decided that this is an excellent (albeit unexpected) opportunity to explore an era I had previously ignored.

I've always been more of a 1940s and 1950s kind of gal. I felt that the silhouette of the nipped waists and the hourglass shape of those eras better suited my somewhat muscular and broad shouldered hourglass figure. Plus, I just love the victory rolls, barbie curls, and headscarves of the 40s and 50s. Right now my hair is too short for all of those (except the headscarves), and reminds me a lot of the flapper haircuts of the 1920s.  So, lately I have been scouring the internet for pictures from the 20s that inspire the inner "flapper" girl in me. Here are a few of them...







In my "research", I've actually come to adore the era. I can't get enough of the hats and headdresses! Hopefully soon I'll be brave enough to post some pictures of myself attempting to translate this lovely era into my own wardrobe. 

-Katie

4 comments:

  1. I admire how you are taking an "unexpected" haircut in stride. I'd have cried too. I know very little about the 20's and just a little bit about the 30's, so it's interesting to see some of the flapper style cuts you found! Reminds me that I need to rent The Great Gatsby when it comes out haha. There is a head dress in that movie that is SO AMAZING! Have fun with your new "do" and have a Happy Vintage Day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen :) yeah, it was a bit of a shock. I've had my hair short before, but not in quite the same way. I'm starting to get use to it and comfort myself with the fact that it ALWAYS grows back !

      Best,
      Katie

      Delete
  2. I love how you are going to try to attempt to embrace a new era instead of hiding under hair scarves! What a positive take!

    Additionally, I totally understand your feelings toward the 20s. I have the same attitudes as well. But I have found myself lusting after the headdresses, and lariat necklaces. Not to mention the Egyptian revival stuff which I've been buying since I was in middle school! But I found that there are some wonderful, more casual, looks of the 20s that do embrace the waist a bit - especially if you watch Boardwalk Empire, and Gillian's wardrobe.

    I hope you post some of your 20s inspired outfits!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janey :)
      I'd rather turn it into a good experience over a bad one. Plus, headscarves don't always go with what I choose to wear every day :)
      I would love to see the casual looks. I've never seen Boardwalk Empire, but I've heard very good things. I've been engrossed with Call the Midwife lately (second time going through the season). I'll be sure to check it out. And I hope to post some pictures soon! I don't really have anyone to take photos for me so I'm trying to figure that one out!

      Have a fantastic day!
      Katie

      Delete